Thursday, January 1, 2015

Metro North Misunderstanding



She was running down the street screaming like her hair was on fire.  Weaving back and forth across the busy street, I was sure she had either had a little too much afternoon indulgence or was suffering from a mental illness.  Folks stepped aside as she ran past, and I wanted to do the same-- I had only a few minutes to grab lunch at Catch a Healthy Habit as I had run very late in my morning appointment.  The screaming was getting to me and I stepped outside the shop and into her path.  

"What's wrong?" led to a frantic half crying, half screaming tale of Lita and her suitcase getting on the MetroNorth in Bridgeport to meet a friend in Long Island.  Asking the conductor in Fairfield if she had time to hop off and get her return ticket and hearing she did, she stepped off the train.  Only to find the doors close behind her and the train and her suitcase proceed southbound.  

"Let's jump in my car and beat the train to Stamford!" I suggested, and we did just that.  Christian music was playing on the car radio which opened up the conversation and led to a drive of shared prayer.  Traffic had been terrible on I-95 but God, luck or both, prevailed and we beat the train to the Stamford station by 8 minutes.

Lita let me know that she was reunited with her suitcase. "My pastor told us that angels would be unleashed this Christmas season, thank you for being one of mine!" she said as she left the train.


No comments:

Post a Comment