Thursday, December 18, 2014

My Christmas Gift

On December 28th, it will be the one year anniversary of my wife's passing.  The week before she passed, we attended a Taizé Candlelight Service at her church, which was something she very much wanted to do.  She had battled cancer for four years and was known for digging deep, and did once again, finding the strength to attend the service despite her rapidly declining health. 

For weeks this year, I have felt an urging to attend the Taize service.  I have not been back to the church since my wife's memorial service, but felt her guiding me to attend the Taize.

 A little history of our Christmases together:  I am red/green color blind.  Sensitive to this reality, my wife would always incorporate something blue into our Christmas--   one year a blue ornament, another year blue wrapping paper, a blue bow, a blue card and even a blue sweater.  So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I walked into the Taize service last night only to find the most amazing Christmas tree on the altar-- covered top to bottom in  blue lights.   It was spectacular.  Once again, my wife managed to give me the typical blue Christmas gift.. this spectacular tree. 

The blue Christmas tree has put a new light and face on my Christmas, changing it from one of avoidance to that of joy.  A photo of the tree is on my phone's wallpaper and is a daily reminder of the spirit of the season and knowledge that my wife is thinking of me from the other side.  The best gift I could ever receive!  

Posted by a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment